Folkestone footballer tragically died at 34 after complaining her heart was beating ‘really fast’

A footballer tragically died after suffering an unexplained seizure at her home, an inquest has heard.

Kay Meredith-Hughes, who was part of Hawkinge Town Ladies Recreational Football Club, died at home in Broadmead Road, Folkestone, on August 4.

The 34-year-old had suffered a non-epileptic attack the previous day at 11am and complained to her wife Anna about having pains.

Read more: Storm Barra to lash UK with four inches of snow and severe 70mph winds

The couple went to bed at around 10pm on August 3 and watched a film together.

Sign up for the free KentLive newsletter

Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you’ll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.

It couldn’t be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.

You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.

Kay got up at around 5.30am the following day, which was said to have been unusual for her, and she complained that her heart was beating “really fast”.

South East Coast Ambulance received a call from Kay’s wife at 6.49am on August 4, following her complaints of a shortage of breath, severe chest pain and the fact she was struggling to breathe.

Kay was said to have been awake and responsive when paramedics arrived at her home, but she could not talk.

A toxicology report from David Rose concluded: “The cause of the sudden arrhythmia is not clear.

“It is not clear why she did suffer a cardiac arrhythmia in this way, but it is safe to say these did occur for some time.”

Medics provided CPR, attempted a shock on the defibrillator, and even gave fluids and adrenaline, however Kay could not be saved.

She was pronounced dead at her home.

As part of the neuropsychiatrist report compiled, a non-epileptic attack was described as “a type of seizure, not epilepsy. It can be a response when people can’t handle intense emotions.”

The report detailed Kay had episodes of collapsing since 2012, but had taken steps to look after herself.

A GP report confirmed Kay did suffer from a non-epileptic attack disorder, which is said to be caused by depression and anxiety.

She was last seen about this on July 6 of this year, where she reported moderate symptoms of low mood and anxiety following the death of her father.

However, she was not thought to be showing any signs of self-harm, and was prescribed Fluoxetine, an antidepressant.

In her concluding statement, assistant coroner Sonia Hayes said: “This could be described as a natural cause of death but I think it is important to say a narrative conclusion because I cannot say how this happened.

“The direct cause of death wasn’t established and it is clear Fluoxetine did not cause it but probably was the result of some fatty change in the liver.”


Kay’s beloved Hawkinge Town Ladies Recreational Football Club paid an emotional tribute to their former teammate following her death.

The club posted on Facebook: “Today we said our final goodbyes to our team mate, our friend, Kay Meredith-Hughes.

“What better way could we do this other than play a game of football?”

Sign up to get the latest stories from Kent direct into your inbox here

Article Source: Kent Live